Quick Reference (not enough info, but, will give you the idea)
- find place with lotsa sun, sandy soil and room to grow vertical
- order rhizomes or get some from a friend
- plant when ground is no longer frozen (spring)
- make sure they have enough water
- wait for the bines to come up
- train them on something to get them off the ground
- pick when they are ready harvest (usually not much first year) (late summer early fall)
- cut back for next year
- use and/or dry and store
Here's a book I bought to help me understand growing...
Amazon: The Homebrewer's Garden: How to Easily Grow, Prepare, and Use Your Own Hops, Malts, Brewing HerbsMy resource page about drying hops...
Maltose Falcons Homebrew Club
Homebrew Talk Wiki
Brewing Techniques: Hops in the Backyard (Extensive)
Zymurgy: In the Backyard: A gardner's guide to homegrown hops
Northern Brewer has a PDF of their instructions
Fresh Hops: Click on growing on the left...
National Sustainable Agriculture Service
Hops: Organic Production
Yahoo Group about Growing Hops
The group even does rhizome exchanges through the mail. Lotsa good documents in their group too :-)
Crannóg Ales of British Columbia
Small Scale and Organic Hops Production
The Brew Lounge: Two years of growing hops posts
From back when I was @ The Brew Lounge.
Brew Your Own has some stuff too..
Seven Bridges Coop
Rate Beer: Homebrewer's Guide To Growing Your Own Hops
Patrick's Hoppy Home Page
Norm Pyle's Hops FAQ